This section provides information on the Council’s finances required under the transparency code and other regulations. Also see the side links off the above tab.
The Local Government Transparency Code 2015 has been ‘issued to meet the Government’s desire to place more power into citizens’ hands to increase democratic accountability and make it easier for local people to contribute to the local decision making process and help shape public services…’ The Code ensures local people can now access data covering:
- How money is spent
- Use of assets
- Decision making – how decisions are taken and who is taking them
- Issues important to local people
The Code does not replace or supersede the existing legal framework for access to and re-use of public sector information provided by the Council.
Local transparency will be implemented in a way that complies with the Data Protection Act legislation including matters of sensitivity and confidentiality.
The government has advised local councils with an annual turnover of above £200k to publish the following information online:
- Expenditure exceeding £500
- Government Procurement Card transactions
- Procurement information
- Local authority land
- Social housing assets
- Organisation chart
- Trade union facility time
- Parking account
- Senior salaries
- Pay multiple
Note: Edenbridge Town Council does not hold any Social Housing assets, or charge for car parking.
The Council publishes (via its Finance links):
- Annual Governance and Accountability Statement (AGAR) (click here)
- Annual Report with summary of income and expenditure (click here)
- Annual budget and Precept (click here)
- Assets Register (includes land and property owned by the Council. Click here).
- Annual Grants awarded and Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Finance Committee minutes include:
- Payments of £500
- Procurement card monthly statements
- Account transfers
- Organisational chart click here. Staff click here
- Constitution documents: Standing Orders, Financial Regulations, Terms of Reference and other governance documents are all published under the Council’s policies page, here.
The Council employs 13 people. 6 full-time, 7 part-time (includes maternity leave cover).
Local Authorities are already required to publish, under the Accounts and Audit Regulations 2015 details on employees whose remuneration in that year was at least £50,000. Currently, no employees remuneration (excluding pension contributions) is more than £50,000.
The ratio between the highest salary and the median average salary of the whole of the Council’s workforce is 2:1
The allowances that each councillor is entitled to claim is in line with the recommendation by Sevenoaks District Council. Allowances which may be claimed for include:
– Travelling and Subsistence Allowances – Car Mileage 45p per mile
– Childcare Allowance – This may be claimed in respect of expenses incurred in relation to the provision of care for their children and other dependencies whilst carrying out approved duties.
– Dependent Carer’s Allowance – To be payable at the actual amount charged, with the maximum rate (currently £16 per hour).
Many of Edenbridge Town Councillors do not claim their allowances.
The Council annually sets a figure for the Chairman’s Allowance which is used for any item that forms part of his/her duties; currently £1,100.
Copies of our policies and Risk Assessments are available under Council Documents, click here
For more information the agendas and minutes of the Finance Committee can be found on the Finance Committee pages, here.