Cost of living support available for residents

With the recent increases in the cost of energy, food and other bills, many residents may experience financial difficulties for different reasons and might not realise they’re entitled to help.

There is a wide range of support available for individuals and families who are facing rising energy costs and are worried about their finances. Sevenoaks District Council has a dedicated webpage with advice:

UPDATE – Here for You support January/February 2023

They also produced a leaflet In July, bringing together all the options in one place to make it easy to see what help is available and how to access it:

Vulnerable households can access financial support to help with essential household costs over the coming months as part of the Household Support Fund. The funding from Kent County Council is available up to 30 September and is being administrated by the Benefits and HERO teams. Pensioners living in the District, who are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction and/or Housing Benefit, will be allocated £100 per household  to help with energy bills, whilst any low income or vulnerable household can apply for support to help with essential household costs including food, energy and water. For further information visit:

Get a £400 energy discount from the government

Every household should receive £400 off their electricity bill. You don’t have to do anything to claim this as it should be automatically added to your energy account over 6 months from October.

£400 energy bills discount to support households this winter – GOV.UK (

There are also three different types of additional payments depending on your circumstances. Those on certain low income benefits and tax credits should receive £650 in the form of two lump sum payments, whilst those on a qualifying disability benefit should receive a one-off lump sum of £150. Finally, pensioners who get a winter fuel payment should receive an extra £300 on top of their normal payment. Details of all of these payments can be found on the Government website:

If you need advice or guidance in relation to your eligibility for any of these payments or help to claim them, you can contact Citizens Advice Edenbridge and Westerham.

Call the free Adviceline on 0808 278 7962 –  Monday to Wednesday 9.30am to 4pm.
email : anytime.
Drop in to the offices at the Eden Centre, Four Elms Road, Edenbridge TN8 6BY –  Monday to Wednesday 10am to 3pm.